View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And before someones asks:

If I don't care about default fonts overrides, and custom freetype libs, what does this do better than just using USE_ALT_FONTS manually?

Well, not much, but a bit: a nicer UI via KUAL, and a saner & faster handling of cache updates & framework restarts (we never switch the rootfs rw, we only update the cache of custom fonts so it's much faster, and it's saved/restored at boot/shutdown to avoid having to rebuild it every boot [the fontconfig cache lives in a tmpfs]). Also, the KF8 reader is restarted, so the initial testing of new fonts in all kinds of content is much faster because it doesn't initially require a full restart.

Speaking of, with the CJK fonts hidden, 15 custom font families is a good maximum number if you want to keep the Aa menu manageable .

And finally: I haven't tested the browser and/or mesquite apps, so I do not know how these will behave. AFAICT, it should just work, but the font overrides might not take there.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-12-2013 at 05:48 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote