View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
No ereaders have local support because of the small market here (not even Kindle; I live in Singapore), so I based my decision on the ereader that best suits my needs. By the way, make sure that the voltage is the same, and gift your parents a plug adapter as well!

On the international issue: If the ereader goes kapuk elsewhere, you're still in US and they can ship the device back to you for warranty. I have argued this numerous times and I don't understand why this seems to be a larger issue than it is. I don't have a friend living long-term in the US but I don't see any problems with shipping the item back should it go mad.

It should be mentioned that getting the device repaired would be a pain in the arse but it's not impossible. The device is targeted at a market who may or may not be frequent flyers, and it would not make sense to say that if an American faces problems with the device while outside of US, that warranty is void. It's like Apple products and their local warranty, only valid locally. It does not place any geographical restrictions on where the damage was made.

I like that there is someone reminding others of this troublesome method is fine and dandy, and it is of course best to be checking out the local competition to get the best support, but to put someone off a legitimately decent product completely seems a bit too much.

Sorry to go off-tangent like this, but it's annoying having incredibly marked-up ereaders locally (some obscure brand name that I wouldn't touch with a six-feet pole) and nothing else, while I read of people dissuading others of the wonders of a proper e-reader at a low price. Not targeted at poster personally.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote