View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhak View Post
I want to buy the Nook Color here in the US, play with it a couple of weeks, and then take it to Mumbai, India for my parents. They are not very web or computer savvy, but they do use their PC nowadays.

My dad would like to read books and newspapers like the NYT, while my mom might be more interested in Facebook to look at pictures and videos posted by family (she never posts anything). They will only use it indoors.

I plan to pre-load it with books from the US, and even activate newspaper membership. If they want anything else, it'd just be a phone call to me, and I purchase it here and they download it there.

Do you think this will work? Does the newspaper subscription sound viable (daily download to a non-US IP)? Does web-browsing (or facebook) work okay outside the US out-of-the-box, or do I need to mask the IP address?

I am sure many would have tried any or all of these before, right?

And yes, I figured the Nook Color is the best for doing all that, unless somebody tells me that the Kindle (or anything else) could do this too.
There is only an IP-address check when buying things from B&N. Everything that has been bought can be downloaded anywhere in the world.
You can also use the browser anywhere in the world.
So everything will work fine.

If you install a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8.50) on your parents PC, they can buy books, newspapers, magazines and apps from the B&N website themselves.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote