View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Can a file have multiple semantic tags (epub:type, reference type="…")?

In a set of books I’m typesetting, there’s a glossary after the last chapter. So I set the metadata accordingly: In content.opf’s <guide> section there’s the line

<reference type="glossary" title="Glossary" href="Text/Glossary.xhtml"/>

and in Nav.xhtml’s Landmarks section there’s the line

<li><a epub:type="glossary" href="../Text/Glossary.xhtml">Glossary</a></li>

But of course, the glossary is also the beginning of the back-matter, so I applied that semantic in Sigil. This changed the content.opf entry to

<reference type="other.backmatter" title="" href="Text/Glossary.xhtml"/>

and the Nav.xhtml entry to

<li><a epub:type="backmatter" href="../Text/Glossary.xhtml">Back Matter</a></li>

erasing the fact that this is also a glossary.

Question: Can a file have multiple semantic tags (i.e., is Sigil doing the wrong thing?) and if so, what would this look like? Two entries in the Landmarks section?

<li><a epub:type="backmatter" href="../Text/Glossary.xhtml">Back Matter</a></li>
<li><a epub:type="glossary" href="../Text/Glossary.xhtml">Glossary</a></li>

One entry with two types?

<li><a epub:type="backmatter glossary" href="../Text/Glossary.xhtml">Glossary</a></li>

EpubCheck seems to be happy with either, so I guess I’m asking—for programs that care, which is better supported?
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote