View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #65
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
1. You absolutely stole the ebooks you purchased. Stripping DRM is illegal, as defined by the courts and copyright law. Now I hate DRM, but my power as a consumer is to not purchase things I don't like, or to purchase them because what I do like is better than what I don't. You don't suddenly own something because you've stolen it.

2. I can pay cash in a store, and they have no idea what I bought. Nor do they know what I browsed. Nor do they know if I read it or gave it to someone else, how long I took, etc. Amazon isn't the only one doing this. Search on Kobo's Reading Life.

And yes, paper is a limited technology. But it's one we know. We know the drawbacks and the benefits. It, too, took something away - our ability to remember. Before books, people could remember speeches word-for-word because they had to. I think it was a fair exchange, but it's important to recognize that every technology takes away as well as gives. Will eBooks be a fair exchange? Time will tell.
You are wrong.

We are talking about 'what is lost' not your personal behavior. My points are applicable to the technology and the society as a whole.

Almost anyone using ebooks is also aware of the drm issue because they have been exposed to it from music, video and games. The personal use laws apply regardless of whether you believe it or not. NO I DID NOT STEAL ANYTHING. I legally acquired every ebook I own and by my rights have used them as I see fit. You need to change your understanding of what an ebook is, you seem very confused.

I don't give a sh*t if you pay cash or not, the retailer still knows what you bought, where you bought it, when you bought it, how much you paid for it, and even more.

Ah the good ol' let's not change because we are familiar and comfortable with what we have. Why are you even here I wonder?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote