View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #47
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
If I may quote another forum member: [Moderator: Please do not quote other member's words from another thread. They carry no more weight than your own. If you must, you should give a link back to the original context.]
Huh!?

I did not get to read the quote, but I honestly do not see how this could violate any posting guidelines. If it was impolite, derogatory or insulting, then, ok, by all means censor it.

But while it may be true that a quote does not carry more weight than one's own words, I don't see why one shouldn't be allowed to quote another thread at all. That's not a good reason; you shouldn't censor posts based on how well-thought out their argument is. It's not like carrying the whole discussion over from one thread to the next; it's just making a point using someone else's words -- which were, presumably, more succinct than one's own would've been.

If we start censoring posts based on how well-articulated they are or whether or not the opinion expressed is coherent and stands up to a high level of rational scrutiny, this forum will become boring very, very quickly.

Let people argue (in a polite & civil manner, of course), let them quote their favourite authors, board members and celebrities. That's how discussion on the net works. I agree the whole Apple vs. Android vs. Amazon debate is a lot like political fighting (i.e. more passionate and tiring than rational), but this is what people *do* in placed like this.

Just my 2 cents
Matt

Last edited by MattW; 11-07-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: typo
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote