View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wow. Fascinating stuff (to me, non-writer). I still wonder how they'll get the exposure they need. I know there's no guarantee of exposure for "mainstream" authors either.

I was so willing to experiment in the early days, and I got so burned out on some of the un-edited poorly written crap put out at premium prices (based on word-count), that I pretty much stopped buying indi unless I knew the author already. (Or maybe got a highly-recommended freebie to sample first).

These days, the only Smashwords books I buy are reissues from "mainstream" publishers than now belong to authors I already know.

And to me, examples like the crap that is 50 shades of grey only prove the point, despite the hype.

I'm not saying I disagree with Ms. Rusch. In fact, I'm a fan of most of her work! (Can't stand 1st person, present tense, and one of her current series is written in it). But I'm thinking selfishly, as a cynical buyer, that I'll miss the potential of a gatekeeper to at least try to ensure some kind of quality before I spend my money.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote