View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #85
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Advertisers are trying to influence behavior that is not considered bad or wrong (by most people), or at least not antisocial or illegal, example: Buy a truck. They are appealing to those who want to fit in, to look good, to have a good time, to get laid... all considered pro-social desires accepted by society.

Even those are suggestions only, and it is easy enough to decide not to buy their products: I don't care how sexy is the blonde in a beer commercial, I can easily resist buying that beer. But even if I do succumb, buying the beer isn't illegal, and won't hurt anyone (besides, possibly, my own taste buds).
The point is, it does work. It does influence behavior or they would spend billions to do it. Does it work on you specifically? Maybe not... but it does work on the general population.

The same argument can be played out with propaganda.

Hence what you read and see does influence you.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote