View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I had to smile at Kobo's pointed jab at Amazon, without naming names. At the same time, however, they are pulling the wool over our eyes by alluding to "open access to Android" and "15,000 free apps," which does not mean Android Market. But many consumers who are aware enough of the Android Market issues might not realize that the "open Access to Android" means they haven't forked the OS or masked it with their own UI.

So, kudos to Kobo for loving the open, but thumbs down for being a bit deceptive with their marketing.

The price point and ship date are intriguing. I have a pre-order in for the Ideapad A1 after I negotiated the price down on the 16GB, but it's still more than the Vox and doesn't have the anti-glare screen (I have a Kobo wifi for outdoors, if need be), but A1's processor is a bit faster, comes with Android Market, Netflix, etc. I've sideloaded Market on my now dead and returned tablet, but it would only work for a little while before crashing and needing a new APK sideload. That's annoying.

Granted, I won't be using that many apps, but the ones I used before primarily came from Market. You definitely pay a Market license premium for out-of-the-box access.

The other hesitant part of the Vox, though I'm glad to see Kobo entering the fray, is that it's a first run tablet for the company. Amazon's in the same boat, though the manufacturer has some experience with that build already. There are bound to be quirks and hiccups, especially when I see firmware fiascos in regards to the Touch.

I want to see someone produce a finger-print resistant tablet!
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote