View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 02:35 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My word for this book: Disappointing.

I had quite high hopes but the book fell rather flat. For a story about a bookshop it struck me as very strange that no one in the story actually seemed to like books. (Well, perhaps Mr Brundish did, but we don't see much of him and Florence didn't know that until after she opened her shop.)

I thought the characters had some potential, but they all ended up falling flat too. I didn't end up feeling the affection I thought I would, so that the ending felt like a minor disappointment rather than the tragedy it should have been.

Several times while reading this it felt to me like I was reading someone's outline for the story, as if the expositions were just place holders for scenes yet to be written. Scenes that may, we imagine hopefully, have had us feel something for the characters, or that may have breathed some life to the Suffolk setting.

One the plus side: It was short.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote