View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Your statements about luck in the Japanese culture also reminded me how once in celebration of the New Year my friend gifted our circle of friends with Japanese Daruma dolls like the one in this Wikipedia article. It's made me wonder if the concept of resilience is especially valued in Japanese culture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okiagari-koboshi

The doll came with the following explanation which I kept to remember the meaning:
Quote:
Daruma has a design that is rich in symbolism and is regarded more as a talisman of good luck to the Japanese. Daruma dolls are seen as a symbol of perseverance and good luck, making them a popular gift of encouragement. In English, this roly-poly style is called a "tumbler doll," and in Japanese it is called "okiagari" meaning to get up (oki) and arise (agar). This characteristic has come to symbolize the ability to have success, overcome adversity, and recover from misfortune.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote