View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW View Post
I’m picking up my new Kobo H20 on Monday, and thought I’d have a practice run at buying a book from the Kobo store, particularly as there’s £3 off the first purchase.

I can find the book in “My Books” on Kobo desktop app, and it opens on the Mac, and presumably it will transfer to the H20 when I plug it in via the USB port. Will it..?

I’d intended to use the Kobo the same way I’ve always used my Kindle, and Sony before it, offline, side loading books from the computer to the device by USB, via Calibre.

I find my newly downloaded Kindle files in the My Kindle Content folder. But following the same route to the Kobo / Kobo Desktop Edition / Kepub folder, there is no kepub file.

How do I find the kepub / epub file so that I can store it in the usual way (or convert for the Kindle should the H20 not be as good as I hope it will be)?

I understand the file is DRM protected, but so are the Kindle files, yet they are readily accessible.

Short version - where’s my book?
Any Kobo purchase which you can already see in Kobo Desktop's 'My Books' tab will normally be found (in Windows, don't know about Mac) in directory
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

All such books are in kepub format. They have no file extension and have names like 5d744d20-34ca-4abb-9350-e94a2ef64dab.

You don't need to do any drag/drops with these files because the easiest way to get a book into calibre is to do what PeterT said. Install the relevant Apprentice Alf calibre plugin for Kobo (namely Obok) and launch it. It knows all about kepubs in Kobo Desktop, so just follow what you see on the screen. As you know we're not allowed to say much more than that, here.

I don't believe you need to wait for your new Kobo device to arrive to do any of the above.

Alternatively, if you prefer to download a standard epub, rather than the kepub, you could login to the Kobo.com website and find the download button for your book. But then you'd also need to use the Adobe Digital Editions software and the other, most common, Apprentice Alf calibre plugin to arrive at a similar result.

FWIW, personally, I can't be bothered with ADE. I find Kobo Desktop easier.

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-17-2019 at 04:33 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote