Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #973
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I also read a similar book/short story around the late 80s/early 90s. It could be the same one. I just remember a group of people end up on an isolated (and lush?) planet and basically have to survive after being specially chosen for the purpose. I think that although they think they're rebuilding humanity it also ends up that they're in a 'game' and they're being hunted, but I'm not positive on that point. I'm not sure exactly how long it was or if it was YA or just regular sci-fi.

I think I asked here awhile ago and got this suggestion- Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes. It could be the one I'm thinking of but I wouldn't know until I read it again.
I will have to check that one out but it isn't the one I am looking for.

In the one I am looking for the narrator/protagonist belongs to a "hunting club" (or similar) where the members volunteer for these hunts and spend considerable effort preparing for them. Which is why his going low-tech is important. Although I believe there was also the "boredom" factor as a motivation for him, but I can't say for sure.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote