View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse83 View Post
so I don't understand what does people get out of not registering

what is it that is being data mined etc, and how do you block it & how do you block updates ?
Concerning what is data mined: every single time a Paperwhite is connected via Wifi, the first thing that Amazon requests is "send me all your log files". (Well, at least that's what's happening on mine, and no, I'm not kidding.) The log files are pretty much as personal as it can get, because they contain a ridiculous amount of information about what you're doing, when you're doing it, what you're reading etc. They could just as well ask you about the color of your underwear.

Concerning how to block it: you could block communications with Amazon altogether via iptables. You could delete (or rename) the relevant program files responsible for the most privacy-invading parts (e.g. showlog), or for ota updates (ota(?)), etc.

But of course, if you have the official "fuck you" edition of the Paperwhite (a.k.a. 5.3.0), then you can do nothing at all about it. Except for keeping it in airplane mode (and even in AIRPLANE mode, my PW mysteriously keeps setting itself to the correct time, even if I keep setting it to something wrong - so it must still be communicating with something, so that doesn't seem a 100% working advice).

Ah well, yeah, you could deregister it, but I'm not entirely sure about that. It will still be phoning home, but I don't know how much personal info it will send.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote