View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #26
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'd like to have e-ink with a front LED light I could use in the dark but it seems to me that would be a drawback to the device if it were mandatory to power it all the time. Most of the time when I'm reading it's not necessary so why drain the battery? But I do read in the dark some at home where it would be a small convenience and I like to camp where it would be a great convenience. I try to pack as little as I can when backpacking.

I must agree with Jon on not wanting my reader to be a multifunction device with technology as it stands. I do have a smartphone and I'm glad that it's multifunction but it's optimized for its own functions and frankly sucks as a reader. My Kindle is great as a reader, leagues beyond my smartphone. I even prefer it to a paper book. It's worth it to me to carry two devices. People make a big do about the Kindle's network connection and ability to "multifunction" but to me the network features only support reading (buying books and the occasional web or Wikipedia search). Trying to web browse or do email on it, once again frankly, sucks. I don't bother. For me, it's the choice of having one device that's the Jack of all trades and, while not master of none as the adage goes, only master of some, versus two devices that are masters at what they do. The two devices take up as much space as I used to with a mobile and a paperback and do precisely what I want them to do. No compromises. If some day they make a single device that will do all of that well, I'll switch in a heartbeat. For now I'm very satisfied with what I have.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote