View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
Mihasi
Mihasi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
My suggestion - just buy a new one then. Apparently that is not a problem from what you say.
Well, I never really used the wifi; it would only be useful for me in combination with the Kindle and Dropbox/Mendeley app. If I can't get it to work, I still have the exact same functionality as before rooting. No need to buy a new one. However, it would be nice to extend the functionality a bit. Since I don't know of a device with e-ink, native Dropbox/Mendeley/Kindle app, and touchscreen for note-taking, rooting the seems to be the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bla
unless you have physically damaged your device a firmware restore should fix it.. are your other wifi devices working ok ?
My other devices are working fine on every wifi-location. Can't see how I would have physically damaged it (didn't drop/burn it, spill anything on it, etc), but a firmware restore (you are talking about Porkupan restore-set.zip file, right?) doesn't change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger
Will it connect to any free wifi in another area?
Nope, it doesn't find any network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger
If the reader's MAC address isn't in the approved list of connections to allow, I don't think it even shows the connection then as yours is doing.
I don't think there is a way for a wifi router to only broadcast the network to specific devices. Either the signal is broadcast, or it isn't. In my experience, devices not in the MAC-whitelist do see MAC-secured networks but cannot connect to them. My PRS-T1 doesn't see any networks at all. That being said, neither of the networks I'm trying to find is MAC-secured.

Last edited by Mihasi; 09-20-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: missing words
Mihasi is offline   Reply With Quote