View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #223
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
This, as well other evidence such as the hardware buttons, menu/popup UI in videos, and a confirmation by one the largest gadget news website on the internet -- we have seen more than enough to convince me that the new Sony Reader is indeed running on the Android OS.
The buttons didn't convince me. Sony had the "Back" button (a.k.a. "Menu") in several older versions of the Readers. In the past couple of years the physical Menu button was replaced by the "soft" "Menu" button, which had the same symbol (its actual function is always "up one level"). The menus are called via the "Option" button. Last year's models had a "Zoom" button, which was made obsolete by adding the multi-touch zoom capability to the touch screen.

The dialogs or menus (the ones I had seen in the videos) looked rather typical Sony/Kinoma. I am pretty sure it's Kinoma environment running on top of Android (similar to Sony Reader for Android). The Reader appears to be moving towards a single software baseline, and that baseline is Android based.

It will be fun to watch if there is enough interest in the Android rooting community, a couple of years after the first nook. If the Reader is successfully rooted, I expect Sony to end up selling a lot of hardware and very little content. The people will buy Sony Readers for the sake of rooting them and installing better reading apps, such as FBReaderJ, CoolReader, Nomad Reader, etc. for DRM-free content.

Last edited by porkupan; 09-13-2011 at 03:21 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote