View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #212
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
T1 User Manual from the FCC, credit for find goes to Mike Cain. The full FCC page is here. Link for the manual is at the bottom of the list.
What looks like a good find, but really isn't. This appears to be a very incomplete hacked up version of the PRS-950 manual, a work in progress. The features present in 950 but absent in T1 have been edited out, while no new features have been added in. Everything is TBD.

What do we know about the 2-page view? Probably that it is not there.

What do we know about Google Books? Public Libraries? Anything new?

One thing I am about 99% sure about: there is no Android there. The Engadget is either lying or being misled by know-nothin' Sony marketing. We will learn more when the new Reader starts shipping, but at this point all indicators are towards the same or similar version of Linux with Kinoma environment running native. Which for me makes total sense, as introducing an extra interpretation layer (Android JVM) without acquiring any new functionality while creating multiple low level software hurdles would be a serous waste of resources.

The "Manual" mentions purchasing books directly or via "bundled Reader software". Unless Sony spent a year coming up with something totally new, I am betting on Reader Library support. That's another major pointer against Android.

Having said that, however, I may very well be totally wrong.

Update: After reviewing the obviously Android "USB Connected" screen, I am now thoroughly convinced that Sony did put Android into the T1.

Last edited by porkupan; 09-13-2011 at 02:23 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote