Thread: Seriousness When is HUMOR in "Bad" taste?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #94
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
@nohmi2 @desertgrandma

[snip]

You two are not the be-all and end-all of good taste. Get off your high horse.
Thank you. I would have said that if you didn't.

The moment you tell someone something is off limits to joke about, is the moment you assume you are somehow better than everyone else.

Some people think we shouldn't joke about Catholicism. I went to Catholic school for 12 years and I can tell you first hand some of it is pretty hilarious. Some people think you shouldn't joke about race. Then why do stand up comedians do so well telling jokes about and to people of the same race? Some people think we shouldn't joke about Scientology. Isaac Hayes, anyone?

Either everything is ok to make fun of, or nothing is. If 9/11 is off limits, then why isn't WWII, then why aren't Nazis? etc. etc. It's a slippery slope. (Which, btw, since I can't seem to stay off of South Park references lately, is the premise of Cartoon Wars.)

Just because a situation itself is not funny does not mean there are not funny aspects of it, and that jokes about it are not funny. Dead babies aren't funny, but guess what? Dead baby jokes were all the rage a few years ago.

If you saw something tragic, then I doubt you would find humor in jokes about that situation. Why? Because you are too close to it to the find humor in it. But one could argue that it is for that very reason that you are the person who most desperately needs to be able to laugh about it.