View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #2541
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
KFX books downloaded to an e-ink Kindle directly from Amazon contain multiple files per book. The main KFX file has most of the book content and is encrypted. The associated SDR directory has an unencrypted metadata.kfx file that contains the book's metadata (surprise!), including the cover. There can be additional KFX files containing book resources (images, fonts, etc.).

The KFX Output plugin for calibre places everything in the single main file unencrypted. The Kindle firmware is able to make use of this alternate arrangement.

I suggest that the SS hack should obtain the cover from the book's main KFX file if the associated metadata.kfx file does not exist. The current KFX cover extraction code should work fine if it is given the correct file to operate on.
Ha! Then I DID understood it correctly! :P
So there are two ways:

1) To modify the KFX Output plugin so that it produces the additional directory where metadata is stored "by Amazon"

2) To modify the SS Hack so that it extracts the cover from within the monolithic KFX ebook instead of the metadata associated file.

I wrote here to, sort of, advocate for the latter because I thought I read that the author of the calibre plugin is not interested in the first way and I was then right when I supposed that the ss hack could be made to extract the cover (now we do know it actually exists in the KFX file).

Additionally, even if the plugin author was willing to improve it, I am not sure it is possible to go beyond a certain point. I don't know, infact, if the calibre sdk lets a plugin to mess directly with it's library on the filesystem, and most important with its action (to transfer a KFX file you should now also transfer the associated sdr directory).

That's why the easiest way looked - to me - to improve the SS hack code. Too bad Niluje is away. Until that time, however, no KFX file for for me.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote