View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 05:45 AM   #2538
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You are misrepresenting the situation by leaving out critical details.

The limitation is your conversion process that is only partial, it does not create the associated metadata directory and files that would be present with a book that was originally KFX.
It wasn't intentional: I didn't imply that it was the SS-hack the "bad guy" here. I was just implying what I said, that is, SS-hack is not able to extract a cover from a "single file KFX" ebook.

Now, I didn't know that the reason wasn't (only) that it misses code for that, but expecially that in "single file KFX" the indication of which is the cover does not exist. Though I now tested it with the Kindle and I can easily that is the case...

Of course if the information isn't there, SS-hack can't just create it . The reason I was commenting here is that, first, I thought the cover information actually was in the converted KFX, and second I have read in the calibre plugin thread that the author is not interested in adjusting it to make it compatible with other plugins. Maybe I'll check it more extensively in case I missed something.
But I think it is not that easy to modify the plugin. I think the author could change it to extract and save the cover and the metadata, but calibre itself, I don't know if it is structured to handle (and transfer) more than a single file for a book and a format.
As far as I know, calibre has a metadata.opf file, a cover.jpg file, and then a file for each format it stores; I am not sure a plugin has the instruments to make it store and transfer an additional directory...

As far as things are right now, if I have to choose between KFX features and the SS, I choose the latter.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote