View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I gave it a real try. As mentioned prior to its selection I really didn't feel like reading another Steinbeck having not liked East of Eden and really detesting Grapes of Wrath. This was the best of them, but I really didn't like it.

I find all of his writing just feels very self-indulgent. The elaborate descriptions are fine for a while, but just get to be too much for me. This also felt like a book of short stories, which would have been preferable because the connective tissue that tried to make it a novel was thin.

I haven't seen the movie, but as I imagined the place, the characters and the actions I couldn't help but picture the story animated Pixar style.
It would be sad and boring if we all had the same tastes in art and literature.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote