View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No, the evil and the hope in the book is the nature of man itself. I absolutely loved this book and still do. I've read a few more short Steinbeck novels, but this one is my favourite or the bunch so far (The Pearl, Of Mice and Men, and Tortilla Flat were the others). I can see Steinbeck's writing not faring well with many in a longer story like The Grapes of Wrath. He is prone to over-description. But that is what I love about this book. His descriptions of place and people just hit me and in a short book like Cannery Row it doesn't get a chance to wear on one. I reread bits and pieces as I had already read this one recently and I'm still struck by his descriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanneryRow
"Oh!" said Hazel and he cast frantically about for a peg to hang a new question on. He hated to have a conversation die out like this. He wasn't quick enough. While he was looking for a question Doc asked one. Hazel hated that, it meant casting about in his mind for an answer and casting about in Hazel's mind was like wandering alone in a deserted museum. Hazel's mind was choked with uncatalogued exhibits. He never forgot anything, but he never bothered to arrange his memories. Everything was thrown together like fishing-tackle in the bottom of a rowboat, hooks and sinkers and lines and lures and gaffs all snared up."
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote