View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
Reading methodology (list ordering)

I'm interested in how you guys read your books, considering they're all readily available anytime. Do you tackle'em one by one ? Have a multitude "Reading Now" at any given time ? Chose a genre/subgenre/author and read everything about it before moving to other or prefer to mix things up ?

Me, I have always a fiction and a non-fiction being read together. That way I can keep focused on both as they don't interfere, and prevent from reading just fiction which is easy a 'trap' to fall into. Also, among my fiction reading order list I always interlace a series book with a lone one. So I always have a series on the going but every other book is completely unrelated. It prevents me from staying months on end on the same author (especially when you talk about particularly huge series/universes), and has the added benefit of making me read faster, as I want to be done with the odd book and get back to the series as quickly as possible. I think if you read the next in the series within a month you're safe of remembering mostly everything, and it gives more freedom to read other stuff meanwhile.

Exceptions are non-fiction course, reference and textbooks, which are not to be read in a linear fashion, or at least not as quickly as the eye can run over them, and as such don't belong to my 2 books methodology.

Sorry if it got overly confusing at any point Hope the question made it through.

Cheers!
Bernie
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote