View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #66
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Read full details... blocking NOTHING to do with government censorship... result of Court Order after due process of law - there is a difference...
I have in fact read the full details, and I don't think it's proper that record companies can sue ISPs to have a third-party website blocked from being accessed by the UK public. Just because a legitimate process was followed doesn't mean that censorship hasn't occurred.

How are laws that allow for blocking the public from accessing a website not censorship? Maybe you can explain the difference to me since I still can't seem to understand it from your glib response.

Here's a quote from Nick Pickles, the director of Big Brother Watch on the issue:

Quote:
The broader consequences risk damaging legitimate businesses and undermining cyber-security while further perpetuating the myth that this is an easy technological solution to a complex problem.

Ultimately, the risk is that ISPs will be expected to monitor everything their customers do online to ensure they are not doing something they should not be. Indeed, it is almost inevitable certain groups will call for this when web blocking is exposed as the ineffective and easily-avoided instrument it is.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote