View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
vizca
vizca began at the beginning.

Device: Inves-600
Hi, sorry, i forget my inglish, but i will try

Don't use embebed fonts.

The philosophy of epubs is that can be readed in all platforms. If you embebed the font, the first problem is the doc size, and the permissions to reproduce asociated to this font (© or whatever)... ADE work properly in this cases if you did' correctly, but i think it's just the one program that can do it. Calibre ignore this fonts and use the fonts that you selected on preferences: one kind of font for serif and one for non-serif.

The first way:

If you want use fonts on epubs, try to use opentype fonts, actually are usefull than truetype. Never use postscript fonts.

I can't download your epub, so i don't know if you add the fonts nut i can read your template and i think where is the problem
Try to put a folder inside the OEBPS folder and name it “Fonts” (obviously...) and ad this lines on the template.css:
@font-face {
font-family: "Adobe Garamond Pro";
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src:url(Fonts/AGaramondPro-Regular.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-style: italic;
src:url(Fonts/AGaramondPro-Italic.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
src:url(Fonts/AGaramondPro-Semibold.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-style: italic;
font-weight: bold;
src:url(Fonts/AGaramondPro-SemiboldItalic.otf);
}
I have used Adobe Garamond Pro for this example. Look at this line:
src:url(Fonts/AGaramondPro-SemiboldItalic.otf);

in the url camp must wirte the corect route to the FONTS folder, just the folder place inside OEBPS.

If you need a example, write me a pm and i will send you a complet epub...

Second way:

Maybe the problem is that you only want to use italics and bolds fonts.

How to explain?... i'll try to resume.

Use character stiles on your program (i use Indesign) for bold and italic; use paragraph styles to try to mantein the paragraph structure. Them export the doc like ADE including the styles like template.

You will lose all the styles, but everything (paragraphs and characters) are marked now. Open the template in Dreamwaver, Coda or oxygen and change the span like this:
span.italic {
font-style:italic;
}
span.bold-italic{
font-weight:bold;
font-style:italic;
}
span.bold{
font-weight:bold;
}
Look that i named the span like the style but you can use span.anothername but is the same name used on the character/paragraph styles Indesign palettes

Save, close, and compress the MIMETYPE, META-INF and OEBPS in zip format. rename the extension with epub and voila!

Finally always try the epub in other system or ereader hardware.

I know that this methods are less friendly, but is the way that report better results. Maybe you do something similar

Espero que te sea de ayuda (I hope that help you)

Un saludo.
vizca is offline   Reply With Quote