View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I can't really envision how technology can help the activity of reading compete in the same way as technology will continue to make video more compelling. Am I missing something? Doesn't this put reading at a disadvantage in some ways over the long haul?
Many people have said that the adjustable font sizes has greatly improved their reading experience, enough that they went from "former reader" to "avid current reader."

The instant-dictionary in many ereaders also helps a lot of people get more out of their reading--they don't have to stop what they're doing to look up an unfamiliar word.

3-d video and other "app-ish" functions can enhance some books, but I'm willing to posit those don't affect "reading" the way the font sizes do.

Ability to carry a hundred books is definitely a reading enhancement for me. So's the plethora of free ebooks available, something that wouldn't be possible without computer and internet technology.

For many, the e-ink glow readers are a great enhancement; they can read in settings where they formerly couldn't, and without the eyestrain and short battery life that the lcd screens have.

The social aspects that several sites have tried to set up might be good too, if they'd ever figure out how to do it with books not bought from a single site. As a walled-garden thing, it's a minor novelty for those who like it; if they ever open it up, it could be an amazing enhancement, especially for students.

The first company that figures out how to specialize an ereader for the academic and business markets will revolutionize both areas. Unfortunately, almost nobody's interested in designing better hardware; they're all focused on tying the hardware to a book store. And academic & business uses need a lot more support for personal documents, which don't make any money for ereader sellers.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote