View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I see reading competing with other forms of entertainment for leisure time. Specifically, I see the video / movie experience continue to be improved by technology - better sounds, better sound reproduction, better visual experience, e.g. 4K, 3D, etc.

As far as I can tell, reading, from a technology point of view, reached a very satisfactory level with a well-designed and printed book or magazine during the second half of the 20th century. e-readers add some convenience factors. But reading is still more or less reading.

I can't really envision how technology can help the activity of reading compete in the same way as technology will continue to make video more compelling. Am I missing something? Doesn't this put reading at a disadvantage in some ways over the long haul?
I don't think that technological advances in video have put reading at a disadvantage. The biggest hit reading took was during the 50's and early 60's, when TV became dominant. HD and flatscreen TVs made video better, but I don't think they caused one additional person not to read.

I suspect that the ability to record and playback video not only improved video, but also made it easier for people to read, since it gives you more control over your time.

But there are two significant technological improvements that that have helped reading (or at least books). The first is ereaders/tablets, which can allow a lot of people who were not able to read due to vision issues the ability to continue to read. (I have a late relative who left a lot of money to a large-print book foundation about 20 years ago because of how the large-print books allowed her to continue reading as her vision declined; with an e-reader all books are now large-print books).

The second technological development would be, IMO, audiobooks. While you don't "read" audiobooks, they are books, written by authors, and have given a lot more people the ability to "read" books because they can create more time to read. I have a 40-60 minute RT commute every day, and I use that time to listen to audiobooks. That's time for reading (or "reading") that I would otherwise never have.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote