View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #253
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Good question. I think most people probably don't need more than 2GB.i consider myself a fairly active reader (maybe not compared to people on this forum) and I only have about 60 books on my reader. I don't now how much free space i have but it's probably a ton.
Well, some people love to have a lot of books on hand, all the time, everywhere. One can think of all kinds of reasons. I for example am a Jack Vance fan and the idea that I can read any of his books any time I want, and always have them on my reader is very... comforting.
But Jack Vance is not the only writer I love, and I am also very interested in philosophy and biological evolution, Kafka, Russian and Chinese literature etc. etc. etc.

You can see were this leads. The cool thing of an e-reader is that in principle it enables you to carry all your favorite books with you all the time.

Why should I have to choose which of my books I put on my reader if with current technology it is incredibly easy and cheap to simply have your complete library (and then some) with you all the time.

But... I am not only talking about books.
Do not forget that many readers have audio capabilities.
So many people want to have audio books on their readers and a selection of music too.

So clearly 2 Gb of memory is not enough. And most of the time half of that is not even usable because it is occupied by system files.

Of course if your reader just does not have more than 2 Gb of internal storage you will adapt and cope. It is not an earth shattering problem, but my point is... why should I have to cope? Why not just put 16 Gb, or even 32 Gb of internal memory in the damn thing. It's not that expensive.
I do not want to have to think about whether or not a certain collection of books and music fits in the measly 1 Gb of storage I am allowed to use. It should not be an issue.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote