View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #45
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
So for whatever reason, I'm reluctant to hack my Kindle. I'm sure it's pretty safe (and I'm a Software Engineer by trade, so I have experience with embedded Linux and coding in general), but I don't think I stand much to gain by doing it.

While I'd like new screensavers, I can hold out until Amazon implements them officially, since when I'm not reading, the cover is flapped closed anyway. I'm not in love with the default fonts, but find them usable. I'd love something a little more usable at smaller sizes, though, so this thread really intrigues me.

Perhaps I'm still not getting something. I admittedly haven't tried these steps, mostly because I'm lazy and after getting home from 10 hours writing embedded firmware all day I'd rather just read then hack my reader.

Assuming I get over this laziness however, is there anything stopping me from taking Garamond (for example) from C:\Windows\Fonts\GARA.TTF and just using that? Do fonts contain DRM or anything like that? Do these contain the necessary hinting so they don't look like garbage? I'm on Win7, if that matters.

When I double-click on the .ttf file in my fonts director, it opens in the Windows font viewer and says "Garamond (OpenType)" even though the file is actually a ttf file. It also says Digitally Signed and TrueType Outlines, and Version 2.40.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it and should just try it, but like I said, I'm lazy and don't want to spend hours to get it the way I like it :-P

One final question, but are the standard system fonts in a user-accessible location? I assume not, since then you could just replace them with whatever you wanted, but I have to ask, since this method doesn't allow me to use the Aa button to change fonts at will.
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote