View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #57
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Funny thing is, there is no evidence Gates ever actually said that (and if he ever said anything like it, I'd bet it was taken out of some reasonable context) but posters on the Innerwebs really DO seem to think they know best what everyone else needs!
Actually, Bill Gates is often attributed to saying "640K is enough for everybody" (or similar statements). However, what he actually said was “640K should keep everyone happy for the next 10 years.” He was referring to RAM, and 640KB was the maximum that you could put into an earlier IBM PC.

In fact, even modern computers running a 32-bit windows operating system cannot use 4GB of RAM. 3.25GB is typical, because some of that 32-bit memory address space is needed for memory-mapped I/O and buffers on various I/O devices (including video memory). You need a 64-bit OS to use a full 4GB or more of RAM.

If you are talking about 4GB of disk space, that is a different story. Early hard drives only held 5MB of data (it would take about 1000 or those hard drives to "hibernate" your computer these days).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-29-2012 at 06:18 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote