View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
How do you use mobile devices to write?

How do you use your phone, tablet or other device in the writing process? Also what software do you use on said devices. I suppose the issue of how you sync files between mobile devices and a computer factor into it too, though I admit to being pretty low-tech in this regard. I tend to use mobile devices as temporary storage areas that I then send to a laptop.

I personally use an android phone to take short notes and ideas, and sometimes longer texts on. I write in the stock Android note taker. To back up the notes, I copy and past the text in a text editor like Jota or Text Warrior, save the file and upload it to dropbox. Really, if I had a note taker that allowed me to upload directly to dropbox in txt format, that would save me a bit of time. But the stock app is so convenient.

I also use a rooted Nook ST. This is actually pretty good to write longer texts on, and is a nice way to work when I need to get away from the computer. Plus the e-ink screen can be a welcome relief to LCD. I generally use Jota or Text Warrior to write texts. I also use it to review plot outlines.

Again, I use dropbox to transfer files to the laptop.

I don't edit text on my e-reader or phone. I use it primarily to write fresh texts.

I recently got a 9 inch tablet. I've yet to work out how to use it in writing, if I will at all. But I plan some long trips in the future where I expect to use it. I plan to view, edit and sort files. I'm not sure what software will be useful. I tend to work in .rtf, which is poorly supported on Android software. Also I would prefer to work with software that includes a night mode. i.e. that inverts the screen from white to black. This is limiting my choices.

Anyway, what hardware and software combination do you use, and for what tasks? I'm particularly interested in how you use a tablet as I am currently looking for uses and software for my tablet.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote