View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #596
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I hope this question is not too stupid. I was given a Kindle 3 that had been dropped into a washing machine with the laundry -- really. The owner (an 82 year old man) had quickly realized what he had done and pulled the Kindle out within a minute. But the damage was done. He, foolishly, dried the Kindle off (it was in a cover), and tried to start it. The screen froze on the start-up bar image, and that was it. Attempts to charge it (another error) failed. No yellow light, etc. He handed it to me a week later, and I opened it, saw no signs of moisture, so I took out the battery and put in a charged one, and got nothing. I took it home, cleaned motherboard and connections with alcohol, and finally got it to charge to green light level. Plugging it in to my computer, everything looked normal, so I decided to try Kubrick. Ran it all the way through (about 2 hours). But, I noticed about 3/4 of the way through that the yellow charging light was out. After completing the Kubrick process, the Kindle was completely drained. I couldn't get it to appear on my computer when plugged in. Another overnight charge, and it is back. So, two questions: Have I actually flashed the OS if Kubrick completed, even with the battery drained? I got no failure message. And, is my problem a damaged screen if the screen is frozen with horizontal dark bars but no cracks on the reverse side etc? I'm thinking of ordering a new screen. I'd try a screen from my other Kindle, but, if you've ever tried to remove a screen from the faceplate of a Kindle without cracking it, you'll know this is best avoided. Could damage to the motherboard cause the frozen screen? Is there any way to tell? I guess I can switch screens and faceplates together...
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote