View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #127
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Of course, everybody has to try before they really know. I guess most people have LCD/LED screens with different resolutions all around them, including the ubiquitous iPhone 4+, so they can get a pretty good idea if they can adjust to reading on a backlit device.
But that's just it. People extrapolate their experience with flickery CRT monitors and low-resolution LCD monitors playing videos with high-resolution (the ppi kind of resolution) flicker-free reader devices displaying static text. "Oh man, I stare at a computer screen all day and my eyes hurt. I won't do that for reading." Except that experience is completely unrelated to reading on an LCD device designed for reading (aka, not the iPad 1 or 2).

It doesn't help that the default configurations for LCD readers are optimized for store displays and fancy demos, where white-on-black text and high brightness helps sell the unit. If someone pulled out their iPad while in bed with the lights off and got blinded by default iBooks, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to read on an LCD. But if they took the time to reduce the brightness (below what the auto-dimming does) and switch to a night reading mode, more often than not they'll find that they can read quite comfortably for a long time. Or at least until they fall asleep
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote