View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Palm Pre Plus from Verizon

Just got this last week and installed the (free) pReader app - fabulous, and Mobi books look very nice. The one epub that I loaded has trouble with the double quotes but I expect I can fix that in Calibre. The touch screen is "only" 3.1 inches but the 480x320, 24 bit TFT looks great. For the sake of my poor eyes, I set the font size to 20 BOLD, lowered the brightness to 25% and find I can read for extended periods holding the phone in my left hand and flicking my thumb to turn the pages.

I chose this phone because
1. I love Palm
2. I love Verizon
3. The Mobile Hotspot feature is free, with 5GB per month to tether up to 5 devices, and unlimited data for $30/month when using the phone's 3G connection directly.

Wikipedia says: "The Pre was launched on June 6, 2009 with Sprint, and later also went on sale in Canada with Bell Mobility." I have the Pre Plus from Big Red so am not sure what the differences are...

I consider the MP3 player, camera/video camera to be bonuses as my main requirements were for the web and email, and of course actual phone calls. I hardly text but the slide-out keyboard is nice for typing on when I need to. If you get this phone, I highly recommend the touchstone charger, it works like magic!! Verizon has the phone for $49 with 2 year contract in USA, and the touchstone and car charger kit is another $20 if purchased together. This might sound like a commercial, sorry, but I am that pleased with my new acquisition and with how surprisingly well it performs as an ereader.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote