View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
The Death of Fictionwise :(

Well, it seems that my once favorite online bookstore is now giving off its death rattles. Starting this morning instead of giving 100% rebates on their select titles and NYT bestsellers they are instead simply giving 25% off.

Since Fictionwise prices for these books are so much higher than other sites, there is no reason to buy anything there anymore. 100% rebates were fine and could be massaged into great deals when FW had their super sales. 25% off is just pathetic.

New releases are now only 15% off, instead of the prior 35% off too. :-P

Examples:

The Girl Who Chased the Moon
FW: $18.75 ($15.94 w/Buywise)
Amazon: $9.99
Sony: $9.99
Kobo: $9.99

Frankenstein: Lost Souls (Dean Koontz)
FW: $24 ($20.40 w/BW)
Amazon: $13.12
Sony: not available
Kobo: not available

This Is Where We Live
FW: $18.75 ($15.94 w/BW)
Sony: n/a
Kobo: n/a

The Double Comfort Safari Club
FW: $18.71 ($15.90 w/BW)
Sony: $9.99
Kobo: $9.99

I never minded the high prices with 100% rebate, because I would use the rebates to buy cheaper books, typically during big sales or when they were newly released and 35% off, even when using Micropay. Waiting until the weekend for a new release usually netted a coupon for 5-25% off too. I'm glad I have my Micropay balance down to 36 cents, with some purchases of Nero Wolfe books last week.

I can't imagine anything but a slow death for FW now. Their prices are totally uncompetitive with this new system. No more buying frenzies for me, like last December when they had 40-60% rebates even when paying with Micropay. Sigh.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote