View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #51
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I've heard that B&N and SW will remove the Select titles from their website/servers, upon request, so that they are no longer available for re-download. Naturally, this upset some people. But it does comply with the "distribute" clause.
I don't think they do this. (Or at least, not SW.) From the Smashwords ToS:

12. Termination. Either party may terminate this agreement this Agreement at any time without notice. Registered Smashwords members may cancel their membership at any time, and published Smashwords authors may unpublish their book listings at any time. However, purchased books will not be removed from customers' accounts, either at Smashwords or at Smashwords-supplied retailers.

(Emphasis added.)

Removing books from customers' purchase libraries would get huge outcry and possible legal action; they'd have to first notify people that they're required to download purchases within a certain time limit after purchase. (I remember when Fictionwise switched from "please download within two weeks" to "within 24 hours" to "within an hour," all trying to comply with the caprices of publishers. "Within an hour" means I can't purchase at work & wait until I get home to download.)

Removing books from other retailers would involve a lot of complicated contract-work with those retailers. They're happy to have a SW feed; they're likely much less happy to deal with a third party telling them when to alter customer libraries.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote