View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #25
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I received the bundle 2 days ago and have a chance to kick the tires on RT....

Although it came with "refurbished" stickers on it and the box has "refurbished" printed on it, it is indistinguishable from a brand-new unit.

4 hours and 82 updates after opening the box, I was ready to explore.

The build quality is amazing. Head and shoulders better than any other tablet I own... including the iPad4. Surprisingly smooth and responsive. I was surprised by how useful having a multitouch trackpad is on this tablet when the touch cover is attached.

Being able to directly attach my Blue Yeti microphone and have it simply work was a nice thing... (in contrast to the kludgy powered usb hub + usb camera connector required to get it to work with my iPad 4)

Office 2013 RT works nice and is as close to the desktop version as I've seen anywhere.

As expected, apps are the weak point. I don't need a quantity of apps, I just need a "best of" in each category that is on par with what's available on iOS. I don't even care if it is a different app (ie. I don't need WriteRoom ported to W8RT, but something that is as functional would be fine)

Support for microSD and full USB is very welcomed and makes this thing very useful.

The split-personality of Windows 8 is painfully evident on the RT... maybe worse because it is a tablet.

Overall, it is what I expected. It has great potential but I've been using and supporting (technical support) Microsoft products for long enough to know that ultimately this will not end well. Until then, I'll enjoy it.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote