View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Some of the best books I have ever read are books that other people thought I was crazy for liking (The Color of Distance being a prime example of this). I read what sounds good, and if I don't like the first few pages (Twilight) or the first few chapters (The caterpillars question) then I feel no shame at deleting the book (or throwing it across the room in the case of Caterpillar) and moving on to something else.

I like romance in my stories. Because a well written romance is a road map of human interaction. Unfortunately, most "modern" romance has a ridiculous number of sex scenes - which, quite honestly, read Sharon Green and you have pretty much read most of the possibilities, so *yawn*. It's why I have completely dropped authors whose older work I like.

I also read a dangerous amount of fanfiction. I like it becouse it facinates me that such diverse stories can be written with the same cast of characters, and I admit to despising fanfic authors who have to add in their own characters - borrowing characters from other sources is fine, but if you are going to write original characters, you might as well create a world for them and make a living at it.

Have I been teased or picked on for my reading choices - yes.
Do I care? No, I don't anymore.
I stopped caring about other people's opinions when a neanderthal jock named Bernard on the bus in grade 3 grabbed my copy of Alice Through The Looking Glass and spat in it.

/endrant
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote