View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystl View Post
Thank you Doitsu. that is sort of what I was looking for and the alphabet TOC was what I figured I would need.
A few years back, I created a huge epub dictionary, Webster's Dictionary 1913 and settled on a Summary TOC (just the letters ABC..) supplemented by a more detailed TOC inspired by those MS Reader Dictionaries and my own experimentation. I still continually tweak it and will update it once the epub spec incorporates better dictionary guidelines. I have my own ideas, but without ebook reader software search engine/lookup it could never be used as you would want to use it!

It was even noticed by the Sony ebook users and sticky'ed in their forum here. But that's about all the notice it got.

Quote:
I am going to play with it for a bit and see if I can really make this work for me.

Are tables (basic list tables) horrible for epub?

i.e. If I were to import/resave the word doc table with the alphabet hyperlink TOC (I can get that far without any problem) to html (it can be saved that way from the program--simple) can I then convert it fairly cleanly via calibre? Or will the table formatting screw everything up?
Yes, tables would be a huge hindrance as ADE renders only the first part of long tables that spill over the page break. I would avoid it and only use lists or definitions. In fact the EPUB 3 spec was to include something to help better define the use/creation of epub dictionaries, but it was postponed until a later date.

Quote:
Would that work or do I have to figure out sigil or some other more complex conversion tool?

Thank you for your help and karma all around.
Building the dictionary in html is all you really need, as afterward calibre and Sigil can convert same into an epub quite trivially.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote