View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #26
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... It's the publishers not Amazon? Who else besides Amazon is using Topaz?
Why do they have their own Format AND their own DRM? Why are they trying to
lock down certain authors, with exclusive contracts? Their whole approach to ebooks
and their own eReading device has been to limit/constrain the consumer, ala Apple.
Why is there not a common format and DRM employed by the publisher, that you would
see at all the retailers, if it is the publisher who insist on DRM?

Luck;
Ken
So, since Amazon doesn't have a ineffective DRM they are the consumer's enemy?
If B&N and Amazon both want to sell my books, do I want them to have half baked DRM. Should I choose the weakest DRM and go with the Seller who uses that. Should I choose the weakest company in general who will make mistakes in advertising, presenting, shipping, and billing, with all these mistakes eventually trickling down to my small share of the profit. No.
An Author and a Publisher will choose the best Company, and if he/she doesn't want copy protection he/she will choose "no copy protection."

Don't fault Amazon because it is a competent business.

Don't fault a bank because it chooses to have a good vault, and the best security. I am sure you won't if it has your money.

Do we see the authors that are badmouthing Amazon and claiming to be one with the consumers putting their books online for downloading for say, one half the going price, with a honor system where you can send them payment by PayPal or Credit card, or pay them later when you get the cash?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote