View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
kveroneau
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Unless enTourage officially announces otherwise, assume that the current EE and PE will not support Android 3.0. They're having a heck of a time with 2.2, and 3.0 is even more advanced and has greater hardware requirements (after all, it's several generations newer, and what software do you know that works faster on older devices with each release? ).
Linux! Debian in particular is much more speedy in Squeeze than it was on Lenny or even Sarge. Android is basically Linux with a special Java VM.
Windows XP/Vista to Windows 7 is another example on how an OS can speed up from a previous release... However, during install it will prevent you from trying to install on a low powered device. It speeds up and improved netbook performance as a great example.

I would hope in Android 3.0 they found out how to better optimize the code to provide the same benefits as it's Desktop counterpart(Linux). I assume Android 3.0 would use a newer kernel than 2.2. Look at much better the Linux kernel has gotten for slower machines when switching from 2.4 to 2.6. I admit, early versions of 2.6 were horrible, but now it's much better than 2.4 ever was.

In the end it really comes down to the core developers on the Android 3.0 project and if they are properly optimizing their code for OEMs don't need to fork out new quad-core ARM chips for their tablets. imao