View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #93
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's why I recommend XHTML as the format sold to customers by all booksellers.

The OEBPS or EPub format (what Adobe DE supports besides PDF) is essentially a package of very standardized XHTML and ASCII-based style sheets and descriptive files, all of which can be read and formatted as desired by simple conversion programs (like the free programs I use to convert my e-book formats). It's safe to say that any number of conversion programs will be able to read XHTML for the foreseeable future, and use it for conversion to the preferred format.

If you buy the EPub format, and your reader can convert it for its own display, you have a DRM-free original document. If you buy a new reader, simply feed it the EPub document, and it will convert it. If you want to buy the converted format, so be it, but the bookseller should send you the EPub package as well as the converted format. That's the way it should... and can... work.

I believe that, once booksellers finally give up on DRMed formats, that is exactly what will happen (maybe not immediately, but over time and through customer demand).

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-26-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote