View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Tackitt View Post
Thank you.

My editor makes a wide variety of comments. I generally accept the grammar and puncuation edits as I suck at those and know it. But I parse over his other comments and use about half of them. Story telling isn't, in my mind, so much about rules as it is in holding the reader's interest.

Writing rules are good to know, but then again rules tend to get in the way. The rules of writing are limiting. Working with arbitrary restrictions doesn't appeal to me, and writing rules are arbitrary, perhaps generally accepted but still arbitrary. Is it better to spin an interesting yarn or to get a good grade from the rules mavens? Doing both at the same time would be great, but perhaps too high a bar for me. That's ok, I can live with it.
Your plot and your characters are what should hold the reader's interest, not your grammar, good or bad. While good grammar does not get in the way of story telling, bad grammar can get in the way of reader appreciation. Some readers will not notice poor command of language, while others will find that it detracts from their enjoyment of the story. If you ignore grammar you will be limiting your audience - why do that? Your grammar does not have to be perfect, (many bestselling writers do not have perfect grammar) but you could try not to make the very basic errors that you are currently making.

Take notice of what your editor says, don't just include the edits, note what they are, make sure that you understand why the change is required and try not to make the same mistake in future. Doing this can only improve your writing, help you learn your craft and allow you to become a skilled artisan.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote