View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #57
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Being part of an "older" generation (I'm 50), I'm happy to trade a little privacy (the illusion of it we had, anyway) for the conveniences gained. I never valued what little privacy I may have had very much anyway. If I did, I'd resort to reading physical books written by my neighbors on the porch of my off-the-grid cabin. *shrug*
You don't have to be paranoid to be concerned about privacy. Privacy is being bartered for convenience. We all have to decide what we are willing to give up, or if we are willing to give up anything for our privacy. We are still at the early stage of techno-spying. There may come a day when none of us are very cavalier about who knows what we read, watch, where we go, and what we do. And there may come a day when what we do freely now could get us fined, labeled, cost us a job, or even lead to us being imprisoned.
There are countries where even now reading certain books can get you thrown in jail.
This is an older article, but found this quote interesting:
Quote:
Bruce Schneier, a cyber-security expert and author, worries that readers may steer clear of digital books on sensitive subjects such as health, sexuality and security—including his own works—out of fear that their reading is being tracked. "There are a gazillion things that we read that we want to read in private," Mr. Schneier says.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...90950051438304
The time may not be too far away that Only Digital copies of certain books are produced and available to read. Privacy will always be important to some people.

Last edited by conan50; 08-09-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added link
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote