View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #366
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That is still happening. Compare the Harry Potter books as published in the UK and Canada to the editions published in the USA. Even the title changed in one case (Philosopher's Stone in UK/Canada, Sorceror's Stone in USA).
Yes, but the changes were minor in HP and primarily address idioms and words specific to the UK. While it's English either way, British English may not be as clear to North American kids as to North American adults. There is little, if any adaptation in adult books today, at least in sci-fi and suspense mystery, which is what I read. You'd have to ask publishers why they change titles. I'd assume it was to distinguish between altered books, but some of them have the exact same words in both editions.

I find it frustrating trying to get ebooks specific to UK. Before I started losing eyesight, I could buy a book from a British bookshop and have it shipped here. Now that I can't read paper books, I can't get them in ebook. Kobo travelling worked well, but now that my Visa was changed to MasterCard by my bank, it won't work with even Kobo for traveling. Extremely annoying. Now that I have the last of the books for this one series, I'm done with new UK authors outside of my ego-restriction. Just too frustrating.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-14-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Weird autocorrect by my Fire
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote