View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
xpmedia
xpmedia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
ADE 3.0 on win7 64bit

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if anyone still read epub books on desktop machine, but i need to do this from time to time.

Now I've installed the lastest (prob not greatest) Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 on my win7 enterprise 64bit machine, the problem is that when i double click on any .epub book, it won't use ADE 3.0 to open it. Even if I right click an epub file and select "open with" from the context menu, then browse to the ADE 3.0 exe, it won't run it to open the epub file.

(I tried the same on a 32bit win7 machine, and it worked fine there.)

First thing i noticed is that the binaries are installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions 3.0\DigitalEditions.exe, so it looks like the lazy folks at adobe didn't build a 64bit version program (it's free, they dont get paid, i can understand). But why the heck it won't allow me to use the program to open epub files?

If i just run ade 3.0, it can start, and if i add a epub file to the library of ade, then i will be able to open it. But i just can't double-click an epub file and get it to open right away in ade 3.0. I thought this is pretty standard stuff on windows, isnt it?

would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this mystery.

P.S, i just downloaded calibre 1.4.4 and installed it, which is also a 32bit app, and installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2.

and voila, when i double clicked the same epub file, it opened right away in calibre reader.
All i can guess is that the dumb devs at adobe didn't bother to test it on win7 64bit.

Never been a fan of adobe cr*p, but something this stupid is a bit of a shocker.

Last edited by xpmedia; 07-15-2014 at 08:18 PM.
xpmedia is offline   Reply With Quote