View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #72
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandor62 View Post
I think some people put too much faith in publishers. Many Many years ago in the days of our great grandfathers, anyone could write a book, be it fiction or not and organise thier own printing and distribution and retailing. If the book was any good people probably wrote to the author and asked for more or new material. If on the other case the material was bad, well the author either tried again from scratch and hoped people would give them a second chance at it. Of course if they failed again they had to get a real job. What this all meant of course is the good authors did ok for themselves. Nowdays we all seem to have this idea that we need publishers to tell us what is good or not as we obviously cant think for ourselves. Yes, if we want to have a worldwide print distibution in the hope we can be millionares overnight, look after copyright, pay royalties, you need a publisher to set it all up.
Now of course there is the world wide web and ebook readers. The advantages are immense. The idea of the Writers forming thier own Co-op while still fraught with dangers is a good one. If they are any good they will charge a price for their work that they think is fair. If they are a new writer I would guess the price would be set at a rate to encourage people to examine the work. Of course they would need to get thier own copy editors. I would imagine that some of the authors would have to learn to do it themselves or use friends or family to do it for them as in the past.
I for one would love to see these authors that feel that they have some good work that has been rejected submit their stuff and let the public decide.
A central co-op type of site would be perfect as they could get exposure and of course the better authors would probably get their one or two thousand sales. I mean we have paypal nowadays.
I hope I see something like this one day.

Cheers
Sort of like Steve Jordan's business plan, with access to others.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote