View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #75
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
Which does suggest that the recovery*.zip file is not purely stock Android - it must have the Kobo initialization script (signing up for an account and getting an update). And then the first "update" is probably installing the first real Kobo distro.
Nice! Sounds very plausible! And would mean that they actually made quite an intelligent recovery (as long as it doesn't take over like HAL in your case) - all we need to do in order to get a full factory reset is bricking the tablet :-)
Now since the device can apply an update after downloading it in the OS, there must be a way to reboot into a recovery mode where an update gets directly applied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
As long as one can reboot the unit, and get adb over USB access, the best way to fix a bricked unit is to copy the image back onto the card using adb. I'll probably write a small guide regarding how to set up adb over USB access to Kobo Vox (from Linux), and how to create a backup (clone) SD card.
A howto would be nice. With the same setup (Ubuntu Maverick) I can connect to the phone just right, but the Kobo never shows up. When I go into the terminal and type adbd, it says it can't open the port.
What is it with that adb? Is there an instance flashed right onto the board? Say, if the SD card is completely erased, will there still be adb access?

Quote:
Has anyone taken the freescale ubuntu images and tried booting them?
An easy and reasonably elegant solution for a dual boot is here: http://stream0.org/2011/08/10/dual-b...s-transformer/
In recovery, he applies a zip each time he wants to boot into the other OS.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote