View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #45
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
´I´ once read a book...

I once read a book. I forget the name thank goodness.

¨I¨ it had on the front cover is all I remember.

The book went on to explain how to protagonist was a failed writer (with substance issues) and how his ´friend´ - an average Joe - had become a great success off the back of some novel about Hippies gardening (I´m generalising but that was the thrust).

Throughout the book those publishers unfortunate enough to read our protagonists work all fall sick with either physical or mental illness. Only now does this manage to raise a wry smile, like - say - the thought of a sporting accident or losing your first love.

I can confirm that it took me circa. two weeks to struggle through this horror of a book and without question was the most painful literary experience of my life.

Seriously, I didn´t read another book for at least a year after that debacle, The Dark Tower series brought me back from the brink. Turning to the last page was a relief palpable even now. It was a recommended HOLIDAY BOOK and foolishly it was all I took, hence the grit and bloody-minded determination.

So IMHO there are books that transcend mere ´Baddery´.

One might suggest the author of the aforementioned - badly remembered and indirectly referenced - work set out to create exactly such a piece of Floury Weevilness: And succeeded, in spades.

IIRC, the ´climax´(if you will pardon the pun I know see I am about to make inadvertently) of the book was finding out his sometimes-nemesis was receiving Fellatio from his wife.

At the risk of relying on sarcasm to get my point across: What a rewarding read. As someone put about Ulysses ¨It made me want to murder myself in the face¨, Yes. I can relate to that sentiment.

I honestly recommend burning every copy ever made, save one; for future reference or perhaps starting a war one day.

Is a books ´Toughness´ related to grammar; dated syntax; bad punctuation; annoying lists with semi-colons; invented wordages; stupid layout and altered orders; or arty and unique writing perspectives?

For me, No. It is in the level of reward for effort imparted. When this is a fail, the work is a fail. Like most art.

Thanks for listening.

P.S. (I did scour around for the book name, {maybe ´I´ntelligence} but it eludes my hunt, possibly a good thing)

Last edited by twobob; 08-12-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: too many cans, recycled a few. ´The´ not ´to´. (I was going to remove some ´I´´s as well but it felt somehow relevant)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote